Saturday, September 12, 2009

The Journey Has Begun!


I can't believe we have succombed to the infamous art of blogging! What?! Ben always calls people's blogs, "blahs". But, it really helps to have a blog that people can look at when you are trying to adopt, so here it goes. We've swallowed our pride, and we're gung ho about posting. Woo hee! We'll see how good we get at this. Should we put bets on how long it takes for Ben to make his first post. I'll put five bucks down, anyone else? Just kidding, I might need that five bucks if we get a baby soon. We'll have to do some last minute tornado shopping around Babies R Us. Apparently babies need things like a crib, carseat, diapers, ect. Who would have thought? Actually, I think Ben will fall quicker than expected this blogging business. So far he has been so totally into the process of adoption, and his attitude is so extremely positive.

Here's where we're at for now. We have all of our paperwork completed and our caseworker just came on Friday to interview us and tour our home. We failed. Just kidding! Haha, sorry we have to have some sense of humor through this or I think we would go crazy. The visit in reality went really well, and our caseworker was very encouraging about the time it would take for a birthmother to choose us for her baby. I really hope that this process can work out smoothly and quickly. We are more than ready to expand our family and begin the experience of having children. Anyway, our caseworker is going to send our paperwork to the state to get certified, and hopefully by the end of October we will be ready to go. Once we're certified, a birthmother can choose us and it's all up to the meeting of perfect timing and the perfect child that is meant to be with us.

We want to thank everyone that has been a part of this process so far. Our friends and family have been so supportive. Sorry if we have talked anyone's ears off about adopting, but it has been such a huge part of our lives for the last couple of months. It really is like a part time job getting certified and ready to adopt. We're grateful for the hard work, though, because it really does get you mentally ready. All the questions that you fill out really force you to think about how you would raise a child, what things you want for your child, where your relationship with your spouse stands, and so much more.

For those who are just finding out that we are adopting, we'll give you the lowdown on why, where, when, and how! Ben and I have been married for almost six years now...can I hear a little whoop whoop...and we started trying to have children about two years ago. I was able to get pregnant twice, but miscarried both times (in February 2008 and June 2008). We haven't been able to get pregnant again since and found ourselves feeling like we were in limbo and kind of what Ben calls a "rut". I prefer the word "routine". Haha, it sounds so much better. Routines are good right? Not that we don't love spending time together with just the two of us, but there is just a point in your marriage where you are ready for something more, and somebody more to share with. We reached the decision to adopt this June, and we have never looked back. It feels completely right, and we have no reservations about sharing a child's life. We truly believe that parenting is much more than a biological connection; it's an emotional connection filled with love, protection, and support.

Once we made the decision to adopt, we turned to LDS services. They work mainly with newborn babies, and that is our preference for our first child. We attended a seminar and were totally completely absolutely overwhelmed with all the steps you have to take in order to adopt. We kind of thought you would just sign up and choose a baby. Not so much. You first spend close to 30 hours filling out paperwork and certification documents and then you set up an online profile, get certified by the state, and wait for a courageous birth mother who loves her baby so much to choose you as parents to their beautiful child. We are excited to say that we are finally in that waiting phase, and it feels so good after working so hard.

We decided to start this blog so that our friends and family can share this journey with us, and so that prospective birthmothers can see exactly what Ben and I are all about. Please feel free to share this blog with anyone that you feel inspired to. Maybe you have other friends that are adopting that would like some support by reading about another's journey. Maybe you know someone that was adopted and they could gain comfort by reading how much effort their parents must have put into finding them and how much joy their parents must have recieved once they found them. Whoever you feel can benefit through following our journey, we encourage you to share our story with them.

And now with the best of attitudes and much enthusiasm we say, "let the adventure begin!"

6 comments:

  1. I am sorry to hear about your miscarriages, but I am happy that you have chosen to adopt. There are so many children out there who need loving parents. I have a friend who just adopted a baby girl 2 weeks ago. What a neat experience it was for them. I also have another friend who just adopted their 3rd baby. I know the Lord will bless your family and the perfect baby is waiting for you and Ben. If you would like to talk to my friends let me know and I will give you their info. jewly2@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thats awesome you chose to adopt. Any child who has you guys as parents are going to be so blessed!
    We have several friends and an Aunt & Uncle who used and are using LDS services. It's such a great program. One of our friends are in the process of adopting a second child.
    I am so glad to see you guys have a blog, I am excited to see the wonderful journey of adopting, then you will have to continue blogging about the journey with raising kids. That one will be so entertaining, since kids do all sorts of silly and fun things.
    You guys will be great parents and hopefully that special little one will come soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you sent out a link to your blog! I would love to follow your journey and pass it along.
    It took Aaron and I almost 3 years to get pregnant with our first. We can completely relate with the whole "routine" thing. It just felt like our marriage/family was "stuck". We needed more. I was really nervous about doing any sort of fertility treatments. However, we decided to try one thing (a daily pill that helps you ovulate)and if in 6-months it didn't work, we were DETERMINED to adopt. I felt really strongly about adoption, and saw no need to put my body and emotional well-being through endless fertility treatments. But after 4 months it actually did work and we had AJ. Of course we thought he was our miracle child and used no such birth control after having him and got pregnant right away with #2. However, I was completely at peace with the adoption process and mostly, Aaron and I were just excited to start our family.
    Some do think (cause in the process of "trying" many people said this to me) that when you have "your own" baby, it's different, you bond, it's biologically just like you, etc... Well, I have had my own babies now, and I STILL believe that you can LOVE, CARE, and be EQUALLY (if not more) excited about adoption. ALL children are Heavenly Father's and are really just "on loan" to us. It doesn't matter where they come from. You are such a cute couple, and I just know that a sweet little baby will get the PERFECT home with you. We are wishing you luck that it happens soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brielle...ahhhh! I am so excited for you two. And also you did a stellar job on the blog! You are going to be AWESOME parents!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an amazing journey you two are on. So glad that you shared your news with me because I love to add my prayers for such precious miracles to happen. No doubt a little someone is just waiting a eyes blink away. I'm adopted my siblings are all adopted and I couldn't have asked for it any other way. Now I'm a mother myself and I truly can see it from both perspectives. Its amazing. I believe adopted kids feel love even more deeply and in such a special way that can't be described. Ben you've always been an amazingly kind, hard working, humble individual. So much luck in this amazing journey you're both on. When that day comes you'll look in to the eyes of your child and you both will see your own reflection. Know that it is unmatchable joy & is meant to be.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My sister Haley sent me this link. We adopted our son 19 months ago through LDSFS and are waiting again for number two. I hope everything goes well for you guys and your birthmom finds you quickly. In the mean time, get involved in FSA and spreading the word about adoption so that you can feel like you are moving forward with the process. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete